Let’s talk about taking control of your health. This topic is extremely important to me because it’s one of the most empowering things you can do for yourself. While medical doctors are necessary in many cases, I wouldn’t have gotten to where I am in my health journey by simply listening to my doctor’s orders or taking prescription medications.
Most doctors, on average spend 15 minutes with each of their patients and from my experience, I always leave feeling unsatisfied and still looking for answers. This is how my passion for natural health and wellness first developed. I believe it’s crucial for people to take an interest in their own health, and learn how to be their own primary care giver. For some, this is not easy, and takes a lot of time and research, but once you have a better understanding on how to take a whole-body approach to healing and utilize food as medicine, your life will change for the better!
I did it all – I bought textbooks, downloaded hundreds of podcasts, watched webinars, went to conferences, worked with numerous natural health practitioners, and networked with bloggers, influencers, and experts. That may seem overwhelming for many of you, so I’ve compiled my top resources for learning how to take control of your own health and wellness!
- Food: What The Heck Should I Eat? (Mark Hyman, MD)
- Undoctored (William Davis, MD)
- Grain Brain (David Perlmutter, MD)
- Genius Foods (Max Lugavere)
- Feeding You Lies (Vani Hari)
- Eat Dirt (Josh Axe)
- Eat To Beat Disease (William W. Li, MD)
- Head Strong (Dave Asprey)
- You Can Heal Your Life (Louise Hay)
- Gut and Psychology Syndrome (Natasha Campbell-McBride, MD)
- The Wahls Protocol (Terry Wahls, MD)
- Beyond The Pill (Dr. Jolene Brighten)
- The Mind-Gut Connection (Emeran Mayer, MD)
- The Healing Self (Deepak Chopra, MD)
- Prescription For Nutritional Healing, Phyllis A. Balch, CNC
- The Encyclopedia Of Natural Medicine, Michael T. Murray, ND, Joseph Pizzorno, ND
- Bulletproof Radio
- The Doctor’s Farmacy
- Broken Brain Podcast
- The Genius Life
- Oprah’s Super Soul Conversations
- The mindbodygreen Podcast
- The Ultimate Health Podcast
- The Skinny Confidential Him & Her
Influencers & Bloggers (as well as the authors listed above)
- The Five Minute Journal (mind-body connection)
- Goodness Me! Natural Food Market in the GTA that offers free courses and classes on nutrition, natural treatments, food preparation and more.
- Food journal (super helpful if you are trying out an elimination diet).
- Connect with like-minded people for support and encouragement.
- Take your time while grocery shopping and read labels carefully. Stick to the outer aisles as the inner aisles are usually where processed and packaged products live. There are a ton of healthy and unprocessed packaged goods, but I would recommend heading to an organic or natural food store for these as they tend to have a bigger and better selection.