Happy Love Day! Leading up to this red & pink filled holiday, we see tons of stores filling their shelves with heart shaped chocolates, stuffed animals and flowers, but what I rarely see is an emphasis on self-love. This post is all about celebrating yourself and not only today, but always. First, I’m sharing a delicious way to start your morning, and then listing some easy ways to feel inspired and show yourself some love.
Strawberry Shortcake Breakfast Parfait (Vegan + GF)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups of dairy-free unsweetened yogurt (I used Yoso Unsweetened Coconut)
- 2 tbsp of chia seeds
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups of strawberries
- 1 tsp of coconut nectar
- 1/3 cup of coconut flakes
- pinch of sunflower seeds as topper (optional)
- Pour rolled oats into a small bowl with boiling water, and stir until water is fully absorbed.
- Place softened rolled oats into bottom of glass or jar.
- Cut strawberries and put them into a bowl and start mashing to create a jam like texture. Once smooth, add coconut nectar for sweetness and stir well.
- Drop half of the jam strawberry jam into the glass, on top of the rolled oats.
- Mix the chia seeds and vanilla extract in with the dairy-free yogurt and wait a few minutes for the chia seeds to soften (good idea to do this the night before).
- Place the yogurt mixture on top of the strawberry jam in the glass.
- Repeat layering process until glass or jar is filled and add some coconut flakes and strawberries to top it off.
Show Yourself Some Love
I challenge you all today to jump out of bed with a positive mindset, and do something that will benefit you, make you feel inspired or boost your confidence. Below are some of my favourite self-love tips that you can try this Valentine’s Day, or always.
- Wake up early and get some music going. I’m not saying blast some hip-hop to wake you up, but listen to whatever lifts your spirits and makes you feel happy first thing.
- Drink a litre of water before eating your breakfast. This will energize you and get your metabolism going.
- Write in a gratitude journal! This is one of my favourite things to do in the morning. It reminds me of all the little things to be happy about, and can put your negative thoughts to rest in the morning. I use The Five Minute Journal
4. Make a killer energy boosting breakfast (lose the bad carbs, high sugar cereals, or greasy dishes). Remember, food has a bigger impact on your mental health than some may think!
5. Meditate, fill your mind with positive affirmations or mantras. Even if you only have time to meditate for 2 minutes, it’s a step in the right direction.
6. Whether you’re eating breakfast, or driving to work, throw on an inspirational podcast. I can’t remember the last time I drove somewhere without listening to one. My favourite episodes are from Oprah’s Super Soul Conversations, totally worth checking out.
7. Purchase an agenda with lots of space to write down your weekly goals, appointments, meetings, gym sessions, quotes, etc. I find using colourful pens, highlighters and post-it notes are key to creating a highly organized scheduled. It’s so important to write everything down so you can clear your mind from everything that you have on your plate.
8. Pick an inspiring or motivating quote and set it as your phone or computer wallpaper. That way, when you need a quick pick me up, you have something to go to which will immediately lift your spirits. It may not seem very effective, but trust me, it’s the little things that will end up making a big difference in your life.